Here are the five peaks that I’ll be climbing at the Gold Coast Peaks Challenge:
|Vertical Climb||Distance||Avg Gradient||Median Time|
|Peak 1||Tamborine||492m||7.6km||6.5%||44m 19s|
|Peak 2||Beechmont||428m||7.2km||5.8%||33m 15s|
|Peak 3||Springbrook||381m||7.7km||4.8%||28m 40s|
|Peak 4||Natural Bridge||229m||5.3km||4.2%||21m 43s|
|Peak 5||Tomewin||366m||4.4km||7.9%||21m 04s|
- I need to research which of Canberra’s climbs, if any, have similar stats.
- With the five peaks totalling around 32km and 1,900m elevation, the remainder of GCP is around 200km and 2,100m elevation, or roughly 10m elevation for every 1km.
- The overall stats for Peak 1 – Tamborine conceal some difficult segments of that climb where apparently the gradient tops out at 18%.
- Breakfast: oats, chia seeds, protein powder (Rich Roll), soy milk, grapes, milled linseed.
- Lunch: Gus Cafe focaccia (pesto, capsicum, pumpkin, tomato, rocket) and salad (greens and oil oil oil oil oil)
- Dinner: Korean noodles with chilli sauce; Chinese broccoli with soy sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce; mixed vegetables (cauliflower, ginger) and cloud ear fungus
- Other: six mandarins, around 800g of black grapes, and two B12 tablets.
- RED ride on Crankpunk’s plan, around Eastern Loop. Efforts differed by time and PRE (30 sec PRE 10 intervals / 6 minutes PRE 7.5 / 10 mins full gas / 8 minutes PRE 8 with some sprints) Strava data here.