Today was my first 16km time trial under the Crankpunk PowerUP training plan.
- There are many more interruptions and hazards on a bike path (other cyclists, runners, prams, and pets) than the road (cars and bikes mainly), which makes the road more appropriate for a time trial, but I feel safer on the path and will stick with it.
- I’m not travelling that fast (31km/h). I could improve a significant amount, say 10-20% (34-37km/h), before needing to find another time trial route due to safety reasons.
- Two things to improve. Firstly, I need to improve pacing – the beginning few kilometres were too comfortable. I tried to make up time by going as hard as possible in the last few kilometres.
- Secondly, I need to focus on cadence more, and maintain a cadence of 90+ rpm. If the road is uphill and I feel my cadence dropping, I should switch down a gear or two. If the road is downhill, or if I feel my cadence is increasing without effort, I should switch up a gear or two.
- Next time trial will be a definite improvement – a mixture of stronger cardio and better strategy.
Data is below and here on Strava.
- Breakfast: oats, chia seeds, protein powder (Rich Roll), almond milk, grapes, cranberries, milled linseed.
- Lunch: chickpea, corn kernels, capers, mustard, black pepper, lemon juice, sweet potato, pumpkin, curry powder, cumin powder, seaweed flakes.
- Dinner: mixed rice (white rice, brown rice, black rice, black bean with green kernel, dried jujube, peanut); mushroom (garlic, Italian herbs, black pepper); mixed vegetables (cauliflower, onion) with cloud ear fungus, soy sauce, black vinegar.
- Other: three mandarins, 1.3kg watermelon, two cups of black tea, slice of toast with peanut butter and maple syrup, and two B12 tablets.
- From Industry House to Black Mountain Peninsula for a 16km time trial. Strava data here.