Another batch cook today – ‘broccoli cheese pasta’ – following this onegreenplanet.org recipe. It is a plant-based, low sodium, low fat dish. I made enough for 5-6 meals.
Ingredients: cauliflower, onion, broccoli, green beans, pasta, nutritional yeast, garlic, turmeric, nutmeg, soy milk, tofu, lemon juice, black pepper, white pepper, Dijon mustard, chickpeas (no oil or salt added)
I was keen to try this recipe because it called for ‘nutritional yeast’, a popular vegan cheese substitute known for its nutty, cheesy flavour and high nutritional value: 100g will provide 52g protein and 33g carbohydrate, and high levels of potassium, niacin, and B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, B12, B9).
Here’s how my batch looks:
Tastes okay. I can make it taste better. Next time I will add more vegetables, use less pasta, and add some more herbs. This will be a perfect dinner pasta dish before a long bike ride the following day.
- Breakfast: oats, grapes, chia seeds, mixed berries, cinnamon powder, chocolate almond milk, banana.
- Lunch: mixed rice (white rice, brown rice, black rice in equal proportions); Asian vegetable dish (cloud ear fungus, peanut, wombok cabbage, shiitake mushroom, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, white pepper, chilli powder), lettuce
- Dinner: two steamed vegetable buns, tofu, soy sauce, chilli oil, seaweed flakes, some broccoli ‘cheese’ pasta (cauliflower, onion, broccoli, green beans, pasta, nutritional yeast, garlic, turmeric, nutmeg, soy milk, tofu, lemon juice, black pepper, white pepper, Dijon mustard, chickpeas).
- Other: three mandarins, some afternoon tea items (cracker, celery, carrot, hummus, green tea kit kat), B12 (Rich Roll).
- Rained in the morning so I didn’t ride.
- Gym: 4 sets of squats, 15 reps each: 20kg; 30kg; 40kg; 50kg