Only two days til I attempt a sub-70 minute time at the 14km City 2 Surf, Australia’s biggest fun run in Sydney.
Tips on final week preparations sourced from a quick scan online:
- Reduce mileage, but maintain intensity. Increase recovery.
- Cut alcohol.
- A few days’ abstinence from caffeine amplifies its effect when taken pre-race.
- Hydrate plenty.
- Rest more.
- Eat some higher carb meals but eat a normal meal the night before.
- Eat something 2-3 hours before the race. e.g. peanut butter on toast.
- Beetroot juice (2 hours) and caffeine (1 hour) before the race can be helpful.
- Don’t try anything new on race day. Same clothes, same shoes.
- Warm up before the race and don’t go out too hard – aim for negative splits.
I’ve followed some of these tips this week. Others I’ll keep in mind for next race.
- Breakfast: weet-bix and soy milk
- Lunch: sandwiches
- Dinner: bitter melon, broccoli stem, garlic; egg, onion, beef; rice
- Other: chicken noodle soup
- 3.3km at 5.22min/km
- Average run cadence: 167 steps per minute
- Average stride length: 1.12m
- Some Garmin error on today’s ‘out and back’ run.
- I ran the first half easy and the second half at PRE9