In a qualitative interview, we are seeking concrete information in our area of inquiry.
If the respondent touches on a relevant topic, then what are the ways we can prompt for further information?
- Could you tell me the most recent time that happened?
- How did that start?
- What led to that?
- Could you go on with that? What heppendnext?
- Could you walk me through it?
- “We need you to be as detailed as possible” – not my favourite
- So you were doing A, B, C. What happened then?
- Who else was involved and what did they do?
- Did you consult with anybody else about this?
- When that was happening, what thoughts did you have?
- You had some pretty definite feelings? What were the feelings you had?
Source: Robert Weiss, Learning from Strangers