I’ve amended my plan for tomorrow’s long training ride following news that some fellow Vikings Cycling Club members are making an Everesting Attempt (that is, attempting to climb the same elevation as Mt Everest, 8848m, in one bike ride) at the National Arboretum: see here.
To reach 8848m in elevation, they’ll need to ride 77 laps of the Arboretum, 240km and 15+ hours all up. What a massive effort. I’m inspired by their commitment to such a mentally and physically challenging feat. And I’ve decided I’ll be showing my support, riding alongside them for about four hours from 7am.
Planned nutrition: two half-paninis filled with strawberry jam and peanut butter; one Winners gel; one Clif bar; and four homemade rice cakes. I’m looking forward to the panini – after a few hours of Arboretum laps I just know I’ll be salivating for that next level delicious combination of strawberry jam and peanut butter.
- Breakfast: oats, red grapes, chia seeds, mixed berries, protein powder (Rich Roll), cinnamon powder, soy milk.
- Lunch: broccoli ‘cheese’ pasta (cauliflower, onion, broccoli, green beans, pasta, nutritional yeast, garlic, turmeric, nutmeg, soy milk, tofu, lemon juice, black pepper, white pepper, Dijon mustard, chickpeas), chilli oil, seaweed flakes, kale, broccoli, oyster mushroom, peas.
- Dinner: broccoli ‘cheese’ pasta (cauliflower, onion, broccoli, green beans, pasta, nutritional yeast, garlic, turmeric, nutmeg, soy milk, tofu, lemon juice, black pepper, white pepper, Dijon mustard, chickpeas), seaweed flakes, chilli oil, two steamed vegetable buns; purple sweet potato
- Other: five mandarins, one apple, some morning tea items (bean nachos, strawberry), B12 (Rich Roll).
- A loop of Lake Burley Griffin and two anti-clockwise laps of the National Arboretum. My legs were very weary from doing squats two days earlier, so although this was scheduled to be an easy day, the ride felt difficult and I was quite sore afterwards. Strava data here.